Wednesday, January 29, 2014

An excuse for no post and be here now

So I tried to write something meaningful to cover my lack of recent posting for the Workbench Rescue thread. I am a little sad to say this will be all for me today.  This is all the strength I can muster to talk about anything right now - a short post about a horse on a stick on a piece of Maple. That is all.  Nobody likes to read anymore anyway - right? I promise I will get back to writing about the bench soon. I will also put some more pictures up about the bench.  

For now though here is a nice repurpose of a gold painted horse wind vane top. It is mounted on the base of a gnarly piece of maple with some punched text. The finish looks very nice and I think that once it has been left to see some sunlight that it will mellow into a nice honey brown (like the bench) and will surely become a coveted piece for someone soon.

hyperantique antique wind-vane re-purpose
 The horse is obviously happy and getting ready to prance off. A nice pose that I am sure there is a horse name for. The gold paint even makes it look a bit rich. In person it is a nice piece. Something that people will like to glance at. I think that it would look nice on a mantle or in a window with the sunlight beaming over it. The wind vane top is made of cast white metal (possibly aluminum). Someone, somewhere along it's existence decided to paint it gold. No one can be sure why they picked gold but under the gold there was some sky blue paint that must have been it's former coat. It was then mounted on a nail on top of a really nice piece of maple. It looks like someone stamped some letters and words into the wood and painted in the letters with black paint. The things people with too much time on their hands do.


hyperantique antique wind-vane re-purpose
The text says be here now. As far as I can tell this is from the Ram Dass. 

“Early in the journey you wonder how long the journey will take and whether you will make it in this lifetime. Later you will see that where you are going is HERE and you will arrive NOW...so you stop asking.” 
― Ram DassBe Here Now

Perhaps the person repurposing this object thought that the wind will point you in the right direction but meanwhile you are here now - who knows? I especially like the backwards 3 in the date and the jagged placement of the letters suggesting chaos. So enjoy the the moment. Enjoy the pictures. Think good thoughts and I will be back soon. I also promise that I will be back on track in the next post.

No comments: