Saturday, February 15, 2014

Breaking up with a group shop - (it can be hard to do)


Antique group shop mock upHaving been in my current shop for a total of two plus years it took a lot for me to make the decision to leave. While there was a new owner that promised a bunch of new things it was clear that because the two counter clerks (one a previous owner that lost the shop and the other an angry dealer) would not be leaving. These two acted like it was their shop and had a heavy hand in the day to day operations. Both were very set in their ways and it appeared that they would continue to lay a heavy hand on the operation of the shop even under a new owner. It was also clear that the new owner never operated a group shop and was already relying on these two so it was time to leave. 

antique man workingEven so, the decision was a difficult one to make. The shop was so close to my home so it was easy to go to, put some more stuff in my booth, and make a few dollars. The thought of actually emptying the shop, pulling out the big stuff and moving into a new shop seemed a daunting task. I kept remembering how the previous owner said (with a grin) that people rarely leave that bigger spaces because it is so difficult to do. He said that he liked renting the bigger spaces over the cases because "cases were too easy to give up". He was right I stayed there for two plus years even though I was not feeling so great about doing so.

There were a mounting number of good reasons to get out of the shop - bounced checks, creepy over-charges for credit card transactions, and just the angriness of the two retail clerks that had been there for so long. It became clear that the shop had become septic some time ago and would continue to be septic as long as these two gals were still there. More clear was that the dealer space for rent sign was being put out in front of the shop before the open sign. Dealers were coming and going faster than it took to get to know them. Something was really wrong with this shop.


public domain falling man
Sticking it out while the previous owner was going through his hard times seemed to be the right thing to do. His wife was very ill and ultimately passed away. So I do feel good about staying the last few months - for his sake. On the business side, I was also owed a good deal of money for January sales so I had some financial pressure to stay as well. But then, as the last check cleared and the new owner was moving in, I started hauling stuff out of my cozy little space.

I started with small stuff by boxing it up and ferrying it to my car in little batches. One of the clerks must have caught on and started giving me a difficult time. Something that I did not expect after faithfully paying my rent on time for two plus years and even giving her discounts above the standard 10 percent on things she liked in my booth. But in the end, she did turn on me actually screaming and acting like a shrew as I took out the larger pieces. She said "you owe the new owner 30 days notice and a months rent". I had given only 18 days because of the previous bounced checks. I am sure that they will bad mouth me as they made a habit of bad mouthing others when they were not around to defend themselves. Like I said it had become a septic shop a long time ago.
mouth shot sandra photo

So leaving was becoming a difficult thing to do! The counter clerks were attacking me verbally and trying to make me feel guilty about leaving the shop. It did not end with only one of the clerks taunting me, the second clerk caught me in the parking lot the last day that I was pulling stuff out - to jack me up. She turned out to be even nastier than the one inside. Calling me unprofessional and chastising me for not giving the new owner - her new friend a chance. Really?

In the end the departing owner was right, cleaning out the big spaces was a difficult thing to do. Apparently for no other reason than it takes longer to empty a big space and the abuse from the "help" is prolonged and difficult. Farewell and good riddance!


antique shop floor
All that is left is a rug stain from the leaky wall - it leaked when it rained out and the rug got moldy, an extension cord and a small pile of sweepings from when I cleaned out the booth. I even removed all of my picture hangers and any nails that were used to tie stuff up. If they had a mop I would have cleaned the floor a little better too. I only hope that the new owner does a better job with this place and the new occupier of my old booth has better luck.

Life is too short - and you must surround yourself with positive people no matter where you are - even if it is in a little antiques group shop in southeastern Connecticut.

No comments: