Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Really nice student drafting table

 So I was visiting a shop just the other day and spotted this student drafting table. The seller's tag said that it was from a Connecticut high school classroom.

As a collector and restorer of workbenches I was immediately attracted to this desk. The frame is all good old american steel. The top looked to be rock maple with a dye and varnish that seems to have held up pretty well.

I am guessing that the bench is from the late forties or maybe the early fifties. The seat may or may not have been from a first "marriage" for the pair but I thought it went together well.
 As you can see here the leg could be bolted to the floor so that the drafting students were unable to use it as a weapon during a riot. It does not appear that the desk was ever permanently attached to the floor though as there is no evidence that there was a bolt to screw through it.

I could just imaging this being tucked in the corner of a nice work-space for  an artist or graphic designer. A little cleaning and it would provide a stable and functional spot to work for another 50 or 100 years.

I am sure that it will find a home before the next time I go to visit the shop. The price of $250 was very reasonable when you consider what you are going to get at Ikea or Bobs Furniture for a lot more.

 Here is a parting shot from the other side - definitely a striking object from a time when stuff was made well. I am almost tempted to go back today and get this table. I really think that it would make a great stand-up work desk for my computer or laptop.

Maybe I will......

No comments: